coming from | going to – a night of film and sound
Found footage and minimal sounds mesh for the most peaceful, respectful, and mellow evening party of the summer
Pics & vids by Ash Tanasiychuk
On August 8 2013, thick in the heat streak typically unknown to Vancouverites, a group of artists held an outdoor evening screening in the industrial area near Clark Drive & 1st Ave.
The event, entitled “coming from | going to – a night of film and sound,” happened in the back lot of Sunset Terrace.
Eleven artists participated in the event, in which five found 8mm films, filmed between 1957-1960, were screened, accompanied by minimal electronica, occasionally by voice.
This is the 1st of three clips captured by VANDOCUMENT.
In this clip:
* It’s the embrace at 2:08
* It’s the Skytrain (3:38) that kicks off the Star Wars tavern music that starts at 3:47
* It’s how quiet and respectful people are of the minimal sounds, whispering to each other.
Clip #2, the vocal section
In this clip:
* spoken word piece, prerecorded I think.
* No music. It was the only section of the night that I saw/heard that preferred vocals over music.
* from 3:36-on: the wide shot and splayed shadows of crowd
* at 4:55: revealing that swatch of brilliant blue sky in top right
This is the 3rd of three clips captured by VANDOCUMENT. This whole section of the night was the highlight for me.
In this clip (event in the round, from the wood piles):
* 0:24 happy swaying hips and bouncing on the spot dance. The vibe is sooooo chill but so good, too.
* 2:32 BIG smiles
* 3:02 arm around his girl
* 5:26 perfect timing of the cyclist
* 7:05 good vibes
* 7:24 friend arrival, great embrace, support, communication
* 8:31 kiss
* 9:27 that sound of reel to reel
Big thanks to everyone at Sunset Terrace for arranging this beautiful mellow evening in the summer’s night.
Founder of VANDOCUMENT. Photographer, illustrator, lover and supporter of arts & culture.